Volunteer’s Code of Conduct
As a volunteer I promise to strictly follow the rules and guidelines in this Volunteer’s Code of Conduct as a condition of my providing services to the children, youth, and vulnerable adults of our parish, school, facility or diocese.
As a volunteer working with children, youth and vulnerable adults, I will:
- Safeguard, at all times, those entrusted to my care.
- Be a model at all times, representing and practicing the teachings of the Catholic faith in conduct, speech and dress.
- Establish and maintain safe environments by preserving appropriate boundaries.
- Participate in appropriate training as required by my supervisor, program coordinator and diocese.
- Treat each person with respect, loyalty, patience, integrity, courtesy, dignity, charity, and consideration.
- Avoid situations where I am alone with children, youth, and vulnerable adults at Church activities and as a representative of the diocese.
- Use positive reinforcement rather than criticism, competition or comparison.
- Refuse to accept expensive gifts from children, youth, and vulnerable adults, or parents without previous written approval of the pastor, administrator, supervisor or program director.
- Refrain from giving expensive gifts to children, youth, or vulnerable adults without prior approval of the parents or guardian and the pastor administrator, supervisor or program director.
- Immediately contact the police if I believe a child, youth, or vulnerable adult is in imminent danger.
Immediately contact the Diocesan Assistance Coordinator who will, in turn, coordinate the appropriate response, if sexual abuse is suspected.
Cooperate fully in any investigation of abuse.
As a volunteer working with children, youth and vulnerable adults, I will not:
- Touch another in a sexual or other inappropriate manner.
- Pose any health risk (i.e., no fevers or other contagious situations).
- Strike, spank, shake or slap.
- Humiliate, ridicule, threaten or degrade.
- Use any discipline that frightens or humiliates.
- Use profanity in the presence of children, youth, or vulnerable adult.
- Use, possess, or be under the influence of illegal drugs at any time.
- Use, possess, or be under the influence of alcohol at any time while volunteering.
- Use or possess tobacco products in the presence of children, youth, or vulnerable adult.
- Drive a vehicle not in compliance with regulations and inspections while driving child, youth, or vulnerable adult
I understand that as a volunteer working with children, youth and vulnerable adults, I am subject to a criminal background check. I understand that any action inconsistent with this Code of Conduct or failure to take action mandated by this Code of Conduct may result in my removal from volunteer service in the parish, school, facility or diocese.